Donna Blazar has adapted Steve Solomon’s recipe for complete organic fertilizer for use on the West Coast.
DONNA BALZER’S 2019 Complete Organic Fertilizer– West Coast Soils
- Enough COF to cover 100 Square feet (10 square metres)
- 3 Litres high protein seed meal (percentage of protein will be on bag)
- 1 litre Fishbone meal (I now use Rock Phosphate in same amount but soft rock Phosphorus or bonemeal works too)
- 1 Litre kelp meal
- 500 ml Azomite (optional)
- 500 ml Ag limestone (#100 screen)
- 500 ml Ag gypsum
- 75 – 100 ml Potassium sulphate (optional but i was low on K so am adding now)
MIX WELL by pouring between buckets (Outdoors please! Don’t inhale dust!) Use right away or store in rodent-proof container.
Other Ingredients- mixed with water and sprayed on separately or mixed with COF recipe above:
- 5 ml (1 tsp) laundry Borax (Mule Team Laundry Borax) – spray on soil not on plants
- 7.5 ml (1 ½ tsp) zinc sulphate mixed with 2 litres water and sprayed on leaves (Donna Balzer bought at pharmacy)
- 7.5 ml (1 ½ tsp) magnesium sulfate – sold as Epsom salts, Could also mixed with 2 litres water and sprayed on plants and soil.
- 5 ml (1 tsp) copper sulphate (various sources including Bordens, Victoria). Alternately mixed with 2 litres water and sprayed on plants.
If plant growth slows down, side-dress rows with another 2 litres of the above COF mix mid-season.
Note: this mix does not replace soil testing
. Optional: Add up to 1 litre of the COF Finished mixture to compost pile and then water in well.
Contact Donna for additional information.
DO NOT SUBSTITUTE DOLOMITE FOR OTHER LIMES – Dolomite is lime (Ca) with Magnesium and it can cause tight soils where there is clay and will mess with the Calcium/Magnesium balance required to mineralize soils.
The ideal balance to create nutrient dense food is: Calcium 68%, Magnesium 12%, Potassium 4%, Sodium 2% Sources for materials listed above: Station Farm & Feed on Port Alberni Highway ; BuckerFields in Parksville, Bordens in Victoria
Based on Steve Solomon’s “The Intelligent Gardener” Book page 84-85. Converted for Canadians by Donna Balzer based on materials available for gardeners.