Learn about food, gardening and farming at North Island College, Campbell River location.
There is limited space for each workshop and some SOLD OUT last term, so register soon to ensure your seat at www.nic.bc.ca/continuingeducation.
- Farming for Profit GENI-7930 Sat, Jan. 12, 10 am-4 pm $55
Join local experts Gary Rolston and Andrea Lawseth for this introductory workshop on farming as a business. The workshop will cover the elements of a farm business plan from production and operations to marketing and financial planning and regulations.
- Natural Pest Management GENI-7929 Sat, Jan. 19, 2-4 pm $35
Tour Nature’s Way Farm in Courtenay with owner Marla Limousin, while learning about how to control common garden pests without the use of chemical pesticides.
- Introduction to Permaculture GENI-7932 Sat, Jan. 26, 10 am-4 pm $55
Join Permaculturist Derek Jean and Permaculture Design Consultant Elaine Codling to learn about ethics and principles of permaculture, ecological design, the use of design processes, skills of observation, and the recognition of natural patterns.
- Edible Landscaping GENI-7928 Sun, Feb. 10, 1-3 pm $25
You can have your garden and eat it too! Learn everything you need to know from expert Helena Hartwood about variety choice, bed preparation, planting and harvesting.
- Pruning for Health: from Tree to Table GENI-7933 Sat, Feb 16, 10 am-2 pm $59
Come to Ripple Rock Farm on Quadra Island to learn about reasons for pruning, types of pruning cuts, when to prune and what to use – all onsite in a beautiful multi-aged orchard with expert Helena Hartwood. Tuition includes a locavore lunch prepared by passionate local chefs Morka Joland and Heidi Scheifley.
- Planning & Designing Your Veggie Garden GENI-7931 Thurs, Feb.28, 6:30-8:30 pm $30
Join Dianne Maclean for a 2-hour journey toward creating your spring vegetable garden. Learn what to grow, ordering and purchasing seeds, planning your garden space, planting crops, and tracking your progress.